Bringing in the Bystander
Thursday, Oct. 27, 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
This session is for students of Memorial University only. A session for faculty and staff is being offered on Oct. 19 and 20.
This is an evidence-based intervention adapted for Memorial. It is designed to create a community of shared responsibility to prevent sexual violence and provide guidance on how to safely intervene.
- Participants will understand the concept of bystander intervention
- Participants will be able to identify a continuum of inappropriate sexual behaviour
- Participants will understand their role in bystander intervention and make a commitment to intervene in the case of sexual violence before, during, and after an incident
- Participants will understand their own barriers to bystander intervention and learn techniques to overcome them
- Participants will develop skills to intervene as a bystander
The first session is designed to introduce participants to the notion of bystander responsibility and help them begin to recognize inappropriate behaviour that requires intervention, whereas the second focuses more on how to intervene.
This program covers topics that are very sensitive and can be disturbing for some.
Please register for this event via eventbrite.
Presented by Sexual Harassment Office