Mastering Microsoft Excel
Wednesday, Oct. 18, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
Microsoft Excel is used by an estimated 750 million users worldwide. A more staggering statistic tells us that approximately 81% of workplaces use Excel to help their business run smoothly and make informed decisions. Excel is a flexible and dynamic program that allows users to present information and analyze data with efficiency and professionalism. The Mastering Microsoft Excel Program elevates the skills of the user from beginner to advanced. Working through three levels of Excel, participants will learn to expertly navigate the software; execute functions to support their organization; and build confidence in analyzing, manipulating, and presenting accurate data and information.
Key Learning Outcomes
- Be comfortable navigating the Excel user interface, entering, manipulating, and formatting data.
- Use formulas and functions to perform calculations on data.
- Analyze data and present the results in a user-friendly way.
- Create charts and tables that effectively summarize raw data.
- Automate choices and data lookups using functions.
- Create easy-to-use spreadsheets.
- Validate data, find and correct errors.
This program assumes some knowledge of the MS Excel interface, familiarity with another spreadsheet program, or experience using other MS Office products. If the fundamentals of excel are needed, the Introduction to Microsoft Excel course may be suitable.
|October 18, 2023||8:30am to 4:00pm||Excel Level 1|
|November 7, 2023||8:30am to 4:00pm||Excel Level 2|
|November 21, 2023||8:30am to 4:00pm||Excel Level 3|
Microsoft Excel Level 1: Formatting, Filters and Functions – October 18, 2023
Learn how to use the function tool, create tables and dynamic charts with impact.
- Introduction to spreadsheets
- Navigating Excel
- Formatting font, cells, and data
- Conditional formatting
- Sorting and filtering data
- Basic formula syntax and mathematical operators in excel
- Cell references in formulas
- Using the function dialogue box (i.e. SUM, AVERAGE)
- Printing and saving workbooks
Microsoft Excel Level 2: Executing Data Analysis and Visual Presentation – November 7, 2023
Learn how to use mathematical operators and syntax, statistical functions, and pivot tables to present data in a clear and professional manner.
- Conditional formatting
- Inserting graphics
- Inserting links, comments, text, and symbols
- Creating tables
- Naming tables
- Formatting tables
- Calculations in tables
- Defined Names
- Charts with impact
- Pivot tables
- Pivot table tools
- Pivot charts
- Reviewing tools
Microsoft Excel Level 3: Business Analytics and Data Management – November 21, 2023
Learn how to use look-up and reference functions as well as skills to consolidate, validate, and forecast data.
- Get and transform data
- Data types
- Data validation tools
- Forecasting tools
- Formula syntax
- MS Excel Operators
- Function syntax
- Editing using the formula bar
- Enabling function complete
- Nesting formulas and functions
- Look up functions
- A variety of 2+ argument functions from the function library
- Using multiple worksheets and workbooks
- Protecting data, sheets, and books
Courses can aso be completed individually – feel free to use the Microsoft Excel Placement Self-Assessment to determine which level you should begin with.
NOTE: This is an interactive session. Participants must have Microsoft Excel 2016, Microsoft Excel 365, (or compatible version) installed on their laptop.
Course Endorsements & Partnerships
This course qualifies as credits toward the International Association of Business Communicators’ (IABC) professional certifications.
When applying to sit for either the exam for Communications Management Professional (CMP)(R) or Strategic Communication Management Professional (SCMP)(R) or to apply for recertification, Gardiner Centre courses can be an integral part of your application package.
To learn more about this global standard certification, visit: gcccouncil.org. To inquire about sitting for a certification exam, contact the local IABC NL chapter at firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit: iabcnl.com.
Continuing Education Contact Hours: 21
Presented by Gardiner Centre