Whale of a Day
Saturday, Oct. 28, 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
Core Science Facility, 45 Arctic Ave, St. John's
Memorial University invites you to join us under the ocean for the second annual Whale of a Day on Oct. 28!
Shimmering and sparkling, dark and murky and bursting with colour, the Atlantic Ocean is a mysterious treasure chest of discovery, right on our doorstep.
Families and friends are invited to unlock the treasures of the deep at an open house event taking place under and around the blue whale skeleton hanging in Memorial University’s Core Science Facility (CSF). The whale represents all of the diverse ocean-related expertise that swims across our campuses.
On Oct. 28 from 9:30 a.m. – 4 p.m., visitors are invited to drop in to enjoy a series of interactive learning exhibitions from Memorial University’s campuses.
Some of the featured exhibits include:
• Whale interpretation by the Department of Biology, including the story of the whale’s origin, from its time in the sea to where it hangs in the CSF.
• Touch tanks by the Ocean Sciences Centre.
• The GEO Centre’s Gardens of the Deep exhibit, featuring corals, sponges and fossilized sea creatures.
• A green screen photo booth that will allow visitors to have their own encounters with the mammoth whale, by the Centre for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (CITL).
• Robotics and STEM education from the Marine Institute (MI).
Stay in style with the Memorial University Bookstore!
Don’t miss out on cool new gear from the Memorial University Bookstore! Be the first to get your hands on brand-new clothing and more being introduced at this year’s Whale of a Day!
Date: October 28, 2023
Location: Core Science Facility, St. John’s Campus
45 Arctic Ave, St. John’s, NL A1C 5S7
Time: 9:30 am – 4:00 pm
There is no charge to attend; however, registration is required. To ensure participants’ comfort, entrance to the event will be offered in staggered blocks.
Registrants will have the option to select from one of the entrance times below.
- 9:30 am – 10:30 am – Sensory hour (limited numbers)
- 10:30 am – 12:15 pm
- 12:15 pm – 2:00 pm
- 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Click here to register: https://mun.jotform.com/232574146739868
Presented by Memorial University