On the recommendation of the Governance Committee of the Board of Regents and the chair, the full board has ratified the membership of the Presidential Search Committee on Feb. 20, 2019.
The membership of the search committee was determined after nominations were received from the various groups invited to put forward potential members as outlined in the Membership and Terms of Reference approved by the Board in October 2018.
Additionally, a call for expressions of interest from members of the public was issued in January and 33 people submitted their names for consideration. James Igloliorte was selected from among that group by the chair following appropriate consultation as the public representative.
“With the committee membership finalized, the next step in the process is for the group to meet to decide on the engagement of a search consultant, a plan for community consultations and the development of position profile,” said board chair Iris Petten. “I am confident that this committee is well positioned to take on this important work over the coming months.”
Members of the search committee and the basis for their appointment as outlined in the Membership and Terms of Reference:
- The chair of the board, who shall chair the committee:
- Iris Petten
- Two other board members, chosen by the chair (utilizing a consultation process):
- Mark Bradbury
- Denis Mahoney
- Four members of the faculty, chosen by the Senate, with at least one member from each of the St. John’s Campus, Grenfell Campus and the Marine Institute:
- Jennifer Lokash, Department of English
- Julia Lukewich, Faculty of Nursing
- Robert Scott, Grenfell Campus
- Cyr Couturier, Marine Institute
- Two students, chosen by the chair after consultation with the director of external affairs, communications and research, Memorial University of Newfoundland Students’ Union (MUNSU); president, Marine Institute Students’ Union (MISU); executive director of external affairs, Graduate Students’ Union (GSU); and the vice-president, academic, Grenfell Campus Students’ Union (GCSU) (utilizing a consultation process):
- Sana Jamil, Graduate Students’ Union
- John Godfrey, Memorial University of Newfoundland Students’ Union
- An academic administrator, chosen by them from among themselves:
- Susan Cleyle, university librarian
- A non-academic administrator, chosen by them from among themselves:
- Stephen Dodge, director, Human Resources
- One member of the public-at-large, chosen by the chair (utilizing a consultation process):
- James Igloliorte
- The secretary of the board will serve as secretary of the Presidential Search Committee and the executive director, Office of the Board of Regents, will provide advice to and support the work of the Presidential Search Committee.
For more information, visit the Presidential Search Committee webpage.